NOTE: sign-up has been extended till Tuesday, 2019-10-08 12:00 CET
Together with Anne Wissemann we are going to do a 3-day weekend workshop on applied rationality in Münster, Germany.
- Speakers: Anne Wissemann & Alexander Popiak
- Date: 2019-11-01 – 03, 10am - 6pm
- Application form: https://forms.gle/7gnf83va7NCxBysL8 (Deadline: Monday, 2019-09-30 Tuesday, 2019-10-08 confirmations will be sent at the latest Saturday, 2019-10-12 Tuesday, 2019-10-15)
- Location: Paul-Gerhardt-Haus, Friedrichstr. 10, 48145 Münster (seminar rooms are wheel-chair accessible)
- Cost: 70-90€ + Tip for Alex
- Topic: CFAR techniques and other useful concepts
- Target audience: Aspiring EAs with an interest in applied rationality
- Limited to 20 attendees.
- Housing available on request.
For the last two years we – the EA Münster group – have been organizing weekly Meetups including Socials, Book-Clubs as well as talks with discussion rounds. This is the first time we are organizing a weekend workshop to allow the regional EA community to:
- do a real deep-dive into topics, which is not really possible at evening events
- socialize with great people
- filter for really interested newcomers, and increase their engagement
- Due to weekend time frame: invite great speakers and people from other cities (who would not take the effort traveling for an evening only)
Anne is a CEA community building grantee. She also works as a coach for members of the rationality and effective altruism communities. In addition to her own CFAR workshop she has undergone CFAR’s mentorship training and is currently taking part in CFAR’s instructor candidate program. In Berlin, she helps develop weekly rationality practice sessions together with Alex. Alex is a CFAR alumn and long-running LessWrong community member and organizer that has held workshops such as Goal Factoring at the Berlin rationality meetup.Amongst other things, they plan to teach the participants:
- Goal Factoring
- Productive Disagreement
- Internal Double Crux
- Trigger-Action Plans (TAP)
- Hamming Circles
For a more detailed description see this overview of techniques: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Mc0W2i1-_Av6niVVUoEURhUE8I9h7H4tXcuWR-g1I0/edit?usp=sharing
Vegan lunch, breakfast, snacks and coffee are included. If you need housing, please mention it in the comment area on the application form or get in touch with us directly.
In January Anne did a similar weekend workshop organized by the EA group in Cologne. This workshop is one day longer to allow for more time to practice and prepare to integrate the learnings into one’s life, but there will still be a lot of the same content.
Notes on finances
The workshop will be self supporting, the ticket price is used to fund travel costs for our speakers as well as lunch, snacks and coffee. In case we should make any profit it will be donated to the German Effective Altruism Network to fund future workshops, allow discounts and the like.
Discounts are available if you feel you cannot afford to attend the workshop otherwise.